Friday, November 6, 2015

Verbal vs. Written

In the very beginning of 2 Nephi chapter 33 Nephi writes "And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children  of men." I got to thinking about this a lot. How many times are we (those in school) asked to write things weather it is about a personal experience, about the gospel , or about a school subject? I can't speak for anybody else, but i feel the same way Nephi did. I am not a strong writer and would much rather have a verbal conversation were i can pass ideas back and forth with someone than to try and write things on a piece of paper. When you are speaking to someone it is much easier to keep your thoughts together and stay on track. Especially when discussing the gospel. When you are writing things down it is super easy to get things out of order and get them all jumbled up. So we do our best and keep plugging along, but i prefer to have a one on one. It has way more feeling and you can get a much deeper connection.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great example of just how different our talents and abilities can be- you and Nephi are much better orators and communicate well verbally, but I am far more comfortable and better able to express myself with the written word. I think we need some who are mighty in speaking and others who are mighty in writing to balance things out and to touch the hearts of people who also have different learning styles. We all need each other and need each others' talents to make up what we lack on our own.

    ReplyDelete